Actor Corey Haim dies at age 38

Discussion in 'General' started by Rockmjd, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Yeah I saw that earlier ago. I meant I wonder what he must be thinking at this exact moment. Corey Haim was easily a victim of shit press. Someone or something needs to put a sledge hammer on bad press. :mad: My family always says "if you don't got something nice to say keep your mouth shut & keep it to youself."

RiP Haim you really broke allot of hearts today!

2. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Originally posted by MrKateB.

There are so many shitty comments posted on the news pages, at some of the Hollywood gossip sites etc. I really can never get used to nor understand the cruel things people say about others they've never met...Blatant cruelty is not ever appropriate, but to hammer out stuff like "So fucking what??? He had a good life" or "Was he gay? He LOOKED gay" (not necessarily cruel, but WTF does that have to do with anything at this point?), "Another Hollywood loser bites it" and others....

WTF..
    [/QUOTE]

I totally agree with you,some of what is said in situations like this,by the press and on cyberspace is abominable.If you wanna be depressed by the state of humanity ,any time a film star or director dies just go to the Internet Movie Database and read some of the hateful things written by people about the dead, celebs defamed in death by people who never even knew them.I'm not saying they should be off limits because they were famous,I'm saying that posting stuff like that about anybody is just beyond me.These people that have died leave behind family and friends and nowadays they WILL see this stuff.It's very cruel,especially as so many of the posters are just leaving these messages to get a rise out of people,I guess to some any attention,even negative,is better than nothing.

Haim was a capable actor and was likeable onscreen.I'm especially fond of THE LOST BOYS and SILVER BULLET.You likely WON'T be hearing about his good work over the next week,you'll hear about his struggles.True,that's part of his story but that wasn't all there was to him.It's the rumors and scandals that make the press.When Brittany Murphy died last year the INSTANT press reaction was that she was a junkie and she obviously O.D.ed,that was THE story.When her autopsy report came out this month it stated that she died of a bad case of pneumonia,there were NO illegal substances in her system,no alcohol,and what's more,no indication that she had EVER been a major substance abuser,there were no tell tale markers of drug or alcohol abuse and though she was slim,she wasn't dangerously so.Seems Murphy was a quirky,giggly young woman,but not the drug abusing train wreck that was always presented by the media.
    Of course,hardly anybody on TV bothered to report that,news like that dosen't sell.

3. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I have a personal story involving Corey Haim from when he was visiting his family in Westmount, Canada a few years back and my ex-girlfriend's older sister went to Lindsey Place High School with him.
    He went to a local medical clinic and felt he was owed unlimited prescription drugs due to his celebrity status, he treated the staff like shit and seemed incredulous that doctors(some in their sixties and seventies did not know who the hell he was), wound up yelling that he was in a successful vampire movie and basically made a complete ass of himself. My father was one of the doctors on staff that day and called me to see if I had ever heard of this "Corey Ames". Needless to say, he left with no drugs or prescriptions and was told not to come back.
    Suffice to say he came off like an any other egomaniac, Hollywood burnout
    While it's wrong to spread rumors and innuendo about the deceased, I don't see the point in glorifying them once they're dead either. Most people here never met him, yet feel emotions of kinship based on watching a few movies. I do feel sorry for anyone with a drug problem, yet I've known plenty with addictions who didn't act like total jerks.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  4. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

RIP Corey.

5. 19VOORHEES83

19VOORHEES83 New Member

Had a corey haim movie marathon of 7 movies last nite....R.I.P Corey

6. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

<rant>
    It's a shame someone died. It's a shame someone couldn't overcome a drug addiction. It's a shame the media is a very cruel entertainment machine.
    However, 16,000 children die of hunger related causes every day.
    Let me repeat. 16,000 CHILDREN DIE OF HUNGER EVERY DAY.
    Is that number too large to wrap your head around? Ok.
    In the 15 seconds it took you to get to this point in my post 3 innocent children (picture your own child, your little sister, the neighbor kid playing outside right now) died because they didn't have enough food to eat.
    Please forgive me if I'm less than broken up over the untimely demise of a hollywood celebrity but my perspective on this kinda thing is a bit different than a lot of you it seems.

The problem isn't that the media machine made fun of Corey Haim too much, it's that the media machine has duped far too many people into caring about actors and professional athletes infinitely more than they care about their fellow humans.

R.I.P anyone who died yesterday before they were supposed to, including Corey Haim.
    </rant>

7. rhett

rhett Administrator

Not unexpected, but still a shame. True, I don't doubt he was probably a douchebag about asserting his celebrity status or a drug addict, but at the same time you can't entirely place the blame on his character. Like so many other child actors, growing up in fame and the industry seriously robs you of the important social learning techniques you'd learn as a child. It's just not natural to peak that young, and it's no surprise that child actors thus grow up with distorted perceptions about themselves, society and self-control. It's like being a child in a broken home, regardless of your personality it will initiate a chain that's tough to sidestep. I thought Feldman's Larry King interview was actually quite perceptive - probably the most heartfelt and mature call to action I've yet seen from a celebrity. I'm sure the Feldawg will continue to preserve the Haim legacy, and hopefully now never fall into the same trap that consumed Haim.

8. Anthropophagus

A statement I can concur with wholeheartedly.
    I was also thinking of the thousands of people in recent years that have lost their jobs and get up every morning to look for work or go to shitty minimum wage jobs that they need just to support their families in these tough economic times. My empathy is with those people, not some bratty actor who was a victim of the 'too much, too soon', syndrome and did not have the balls to face real life.

9. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

But how can you face real life when all you know is 'reel' life?

10. Anthropophagus

Good point, the crash and burn syndrome that has characterized most child actors leads me to believe that the industry should be cognizant about educating its most vulnerable members that life continues long after the cameras have stopped rolling.

11. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

Yeah, I see your point, and you're right. I could totally see him doing that, based on some of the things that got reported on back in his high heyday. I guess I just feel especially sorry for him (amongst celebrity deaths) only because from the way I understand it, he got a bit too cocky on the set of one film, and when that film tanked at the box office, it was like open-fire on him, and his career spiraled downward pretty quickly after that. Certainly that's no excuse for someone to go full on to junkie-town, nor is the drug addiction an excuse for acting like an asshole, but I suspect that could have had a lot to do with the desperation of needing a fix.

I just witnessed a long time friend make a similar ass of herself to several friends (myself included) as well as the staff in the local emergency room, because she was in a similar state, and she's not even famous (never was), but yet she did a lot of what you described...Once she found someone who was willing to give her something along the lines of what she wanted, she was back to calling everyone and trying to blow it off like it was nothing.

Anyway, back to Corey Haim, it seemed like he was really trying to clean himself up, but he was struggling with it. I also heard that his mother was going through some serious cancer treatments, and it could be that it was all just too much.

I don't think he should be glorified any more than anyone else who was in the public eye would be, I just meant that it would be a shame for him to be remembered as a junkie loser when he had obvious talent, and instead of going out at his peak (like Heath Ledger), he died after a long absence from mainstream film and had been ridiculed in the press for quite awhile.

12. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

Ummm..you are absolutely right in that there are tragedies occurring every day. And yes, the media (society, actually) tends to put celebrities and athletes up on very high pedestals and when they pass, it's in the news forever and much is made about them, when ordinary tragedies go without any specifics and are almost accepted as a given.

Speaking only for myself (but I'm sure most will feel the same), I in no way think that the death of a celebrity trumps the amount of children who die from hunger, the amount of homeless people who die from exposure, the millions who die from disease in third world countries, those who die from diseases that were not researched as well as they could be (in trying to find cures), or the thousands who have perished in the onslaught of natural disasters.

Celebrity deaths (whether actors, athletes or otherwise) are only notable because they were just that--celebrities that were "known" by many, and had made some sort of mark on the public consciousness. They are people just like the rest, and so at that level, their deaths are no more tragic than that of the countless others who have died all over the world, and I do agree, more notice should be given to those situations in which there could be something done to change things. I am actually kind of disgusted at the coverage given to trivial stories and "flashy" news items in relation to the time devoted to discussing worldwide crises.

I am more than well aware of these things though, so just because I felt the need to talk about my feelings over the Corey Haim thing doesn't mean that I don't think about all the other horrible things that are happening on a global scale constantly....CONSTANTLY, to the point of which I am having difficulty functioning anymore...

But, bottom line, this WAS a thread discussing Corey Haim's passing, not a thread devoted to starving children or otherwise, so that is why I think many people are talking about Corey Haim...

If someone were to devote a thread to the cause to end hunger, then I think you'd be seeing a lot more posts from people who have strong feelings on that topic too.

Perhaps you should start one.

13. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

I think that's kind of my whole point though. No thread like that has been started (by me or anyone else) and if it did I'd be willing to wager it'd sink faster than a lead canoe. I wonder what would happen if even half of the resources and attention dedicated to celebrity worship (and consequently mourning) were diverted to ongoing problems that can be fixed.

Honestly I think a thread dedicated to the untimely death of one famous person is probably the perfect place to interject a little perspective about untimely death in general.

But I digress... back to the topic at hand.
    I always liked his character in Lost Boys the best of all his rolls. I thought it was pretty cool of Joel Schumacher to allow Sam to be so openly gay (born to shop nightgown, poster of greased up rob lowe on the bedroom wall, the "ain't got a man" bubble bath) without explicitly calling attention to his sexual orientation. It's like "yeah man, 14, gay, so what? Vampires are the odd thing here!". Always gonna have respect for that. :)

14. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

This guilt trip thing is absolutely ridiculous.

Yes, people die everyday; its a cruel cruel world,.... does that mean we are not entitled to pay our respects to somebody who has touched thousands if not millions of people's lives through his art? We may not have known Haim personally, but through the medium of film there is no doubt in my mind that he was able to touch fans emotionally. Good God, get off you're high horses.

15. Anthropophagus

Yes, I'm a much better person for seeing Silver Bullet.
    The title of the thread is 'Actor Corey Haim Dies at 38', not the 'Official Corey Haim Memorial'-people are entitled to their opinions as you are to yours, that's the purpose of message boards and forums.
    The misplaced empathy that goes along with celebrity death is a phenomenon that has escalated to ridiculous proportions, the fact that an actor does a couple of good movies doesn't necessarily make me feel grief when they either die or fuck up and kill themselves. It's a very western tradition that exemplifies how we put the wrong people on pedestals for the wrong reasons or even more troubling feel we somehow have a connection to them because we see them on the big screen.
    Sorry, but I did enough for Haim by paying to see his movies, many of which were shit, that's the end of the relationship and I don't owe him anything more.

16. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

When you watch movies do you just stare aimlessly at the screen?...with no emotion or thought whatsoever? Why even bother being an a message board dedicated to movies on DVD if its not that important to you?

Just because Corey Haim hasn't affected your life personally the way he might have for others, doesn't give you the right to barge in this thread with your "rant" trying to make people feel bad about themselves for paying their respects. Its irritating and classless.

17. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

I'm gonna resist the urge to laugh about the "millions" Haim "touched" through his "art", I'm pretty sure the dude got laughed at enough when he was alive. I will say that I feel one of the coolest aspects of open forums ,like the one you're on, is that conversations can often go in interesting directions and spur new ideas and debate. You may not agree with every comment in every thread but how boring would the internet be if you did? :cool:

(fun fact: most of us brushed this dude off as a has-been junkie until yesterday. Funny how things change when someone stops breathing. Anyone wanna come over for a Home Alone-a-thon tonight just in case Macauly Caulkin eats shit sometime soon? That way we can avoid the whole "hypocritical sentiment" thing... I kid I kid :p )

18. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

“you think we're fighting, but I think we're finally talking!" - Rod Tidwell in Jerry Maguire

19. Anthropophagus

No, what's irritating and classless is sanctimonious assholes who try to dictate how others should feel about topics as private as death. In case, you misread my post I was talking for myself and relating a personal anecdote, not speaking for the board. Now back to that artsy License to Drive and The Two Coreys marathon of yours that will no doubt touch millions more.
    The name of the board is horrordvds.com, not hasbeenactors.com

20. dickieduvet

dickieduvet Member

I'm with Chomp on this, Silver Bullet & The Lost Boys are classics to me. What people do in their personal life is up to them and not for me to pass judgement on. I appreciated Corey Haim for his acting particularly in those two Movies and that's how I'll remember him.