88 Films Classic Slasher Line

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by thing, Jul 16, 2014.

1. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

88 Films have not confirmed the reason for the delay but I believe it due to reasons beyond their control, not in a way to make people spend big bucks on the movie, the late in the day delay means they probably have a shit load, pressed, sealed and ready to go, so the only people losing out on this are 88 Films.

I agree don't spend shit loads on this, wait and see what happens, and a official release from 88 Films, hopefully just a delay, but after reading that post from the director he appears to be bat shit crazy!!! So maybe it will never be released again, anywhere!

2. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

x666x likes this.
  3. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

4. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

For me, no.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  5. Kim Bruun

I can find something to enjoy in most slashers - heck, I've just ordered Offerings, and The Prey and Honeymoon Horror are high on my list of movies I want on Blu. But what I've seen from Blood Harvest simply isn't too promising.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, it's probably on par with Offerings.

Kim Bruun likes this.
  7. Kim Bruun

Thank you for your input. :) Offerings probably wins for me. The disfigured maniac is one of my favourite horror cliches, and Offerings at least has that. ;)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  8. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

I consider Blood Harvest to be one of the most bland, and uninteresting slashers of the 80s, but since this may be the only time an acceptable Blu is produced, I ebay'd it. Who knows? I may find a new appreciation for it. And the screencaps look colorful at least.

Zombie Dude and Kim Bruun like this.
  9. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

Just imagine you're 19 years old in 1994.
    You just found a copy of Blood Harvest on vhs in a bargain bin for $5 at K-Mart of all places. Not for rent in any of the longest running, biggest, best mom & pop video stores anywhere around. The cover demands instant purchase. You bring it home and despite an annoying double echo in the audio. Loads of rural 80's life/church bake sale feel to the whole affair. The old treehouse, lost love, lost property, angry small town locals, the slasher elements which are matter of factly, just like livestock at a beef farm & quite well done. Then there's a sneaky, chloroformed woman Polaroid photo fetishism scene, ample wet/dry nudity. These sleazier elements are super naughty, beyond Friday the 13th, yet the 80's church bake sale aura somehow is retained. This is probably why it feels so naughty.
    If you could only replicate my first experience. You may appreciate it more. Without nostalgia and a memorable acquisition story...I just can't imagine watching it for the first time in 2018. But I have a hunch, others can still find it a revisited keeper they refuse to let go of!

chancetx and x666x like this.
  10. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

Kmart used to stock some weird titles! I don't remember seeing this one but it was the first place I ever heard of Crazy Fat Ethel and Death Nurse. Hard to believe such obscure movies were once available at a mainstream chain store!

11. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

So I now have a potentially one-of-a-kind release by owning a copy of the 88 Films BD? Cool. Oh, and screw VCI.

12. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

So, has anyone heard anything else about the release of Blood Harvest Bill Rebane mentioned? He said April 1st in that post on the last page. I checked out the store on his page and there's no mention of a Blu-ray release. I did find this $15,000 tree chair though, if anyone needs one of those: http://shop.billrebanenews.com/?product=natures-chair

I've had the 88 Films release in my eBay cart for days but I can't bring myself to drop $28 on it. They're 80% sold out so I better buy it before it sells out totally.

13. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It'll probably be a DNR'ed BD-R or something. He also said something about a VCI release, whose transfer quality is often crap.

It sounds like the 88 Films Blood Harvest release won't be available commercially again...unless they can work out the legal hurdles. I still had it on pre-order at Amazon UK, and it disappeared completely from there some time ago...but only yesterday did they send a "cancellation" email that the studio informed them it was cancelled (or something similar). Of course they could always just sell more on ebay, so who knows.

Dobby likes this.
  14. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

It would be nice if there was an official word on this, with regards to the ebay sales, I wonder why they can sell here but not anywhere else? Anyway I should imagine these were all pressed and ready to go, so until somebody complains to ebay, they could be on there for quite a while.

15. Katatonia

No clue why they are only selling it on there now. I guess maybe since it's kind of like a middleman outlet or something maybe. Probably unless somebody complains to ebay with a good excuse, they can just sell them on there with no trouble.

Anyways, here's a new YouTube unboxing + menus video for the latest three:

I received Offerings from them in the mail yesterday. Judging by the Blu-ray.com review screenshots for the Dark Force release, it has basically the same transfer.

Dobby likes this.
  16. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Any chance the 88 Films release of Offerings is authored at 23.976 hz, rather than 24 hz flat like the Dark Force release? Any observable motion issues?

17. Kim Bruun

Does the Dark Force release have motion issues? Darn...

18. Katatonia

I did a BDInfo scan of the 88 Films disc, and it reads as 23.976 fps for the main feature. All of the bonus features on the disc are also authored at 23.976 fps.

I didn't notice any motion issues at all when I watched it...

The audio track on the 88 Films release is also 24-bit. I'm not sure what the Dark Force audio is authored at, 16 or 24?

The 88 Films release is definitely Region B "locked" however.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    Dobby and zbinks like this.
  19. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

It seemed off to me, but I didn't have a prior frame of reference for the film. There were a few spots where frames seemed to skip ahead, a bit.

The two spots that that stood out most were:
    • A John Radley perspective shot where he was approaching a car in a driveway.
    • After the cop busted the kid with the dirty magazines and they left the house, the camera "pans" up and to the left to show John Radley peeking out through a window.

Kim Bruun and Katatonia like this.
  20. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

It's fps (video) not hz (audio). And just watching something you are not going to see any difference between 23.976 fps and 24 fps since the frame difference is so minute between the two. If it's a 24 fps timeline playing out as 29.97 or 59.94 fps, then you may notice odd frame interpolation, but this seems unlikely.

Are you watching the 88 Films release or the Dark Force release? If the 88 Films I'm assuming you're watching it on a North American region free player and it could actually be the way your region-free player converts it. I noticed similar issues when watching my Region B copy of Kill List way back on my region-free player, it would occassionaly feel like it was "skipping" or "lagging" at time, almost like when something buffers for a milisecond when watching something online.