40 YEARS OF FRIDAY THE 13TH!!

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Matt89, May 9, 2020.

1. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I could download the dvd version but I kind of what to wait till I can see it HD.
    Yeah there's some really great stuff in this one that I'd forgotten about. One of the twins for instance is killed outside in the rain and you just see Jason shadow flash up on the house when the lightning strikes. It's a really cool shot.

What's funny is that I was watching the deleted gore footage with commentary on the bluray and the director kept saying things like, "I wish we didn't show as much of that" and "Oh, that was quite a bit too graphic, I'm happy with what was shown in the movie". It was odd lol.

Winter could be visually cool (no pun intended) but I usually prefer these to take place during the Summer. And I really don't care for Kane Hodder. I don't think he brings much besides his ego to the role. I'd prefer to bring Derek Mears back and give him another crack at it.

Steel76 and ImmortalSlasher like this.
  2. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I find Part 8 to be fun. It has probably the biggest a**hole character in the whole series with that teacher. I love that raw sewage kill. So many kills are funny in the movie. The rooftop fight, restaurant throw, sauna rock, there are few bad ones. Probably the only one I can't watch is the Asian girl's death because she's hot and didn't break the rules.

Part 7 Jason's look is probably my least favorite because of the monster look with the exposed bones and stuff. In many ways, I like how Part 6 handles the reveal in the opening and I believe for the rest of the movie, he wears the mask.

With Kane Hodder, I like the anger and aggression of his Jason. There was that guy around here that I believe was working on an uncut HD version of Part 9. I still haven't seen the movie in full. Or I can't remember. There was a scene or two that made me stop watching. And I hated the body hopping Jason. It just didn't feel like Friday the 13th. But then I remember enjoying a lot of the Friday the 13th TV show and that was way different from the movies. I want to watch that series again as I know I didn't see all the episodes. And I like that redhead. She has the big 80s hair style.

A lot of people want a winter Friday the 13th. But to me, I always ask who goes camping in the winter? There was that foreign winter horror series with the other pretty blonde girl in Westworld. Not the main one. I can't remember her name of the series title now. I think Cold something. But I remember the first movie is pretty good. I want to watch the whole trilogy. It was about some teens that get injured or snowed in at an abandoned hotel in the mountains.

3. ImmortalSlasher

Found it. Cold Prey.

Cold_Prey.jpg

I probably watched the original on Fear Net and when that ended no one put up Part 2 or 3. But I remember this as one of the better winter horror slasher type movies. I don't think there are many good ones that I can remember right now. The Thing being tops.

4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

^ The first Cold Prey is a bit on the bland side, but the sequel is terrific!

Part 3 never got a release in the US.

5. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I really enjoyed parts 1 & 2 and have the double pack DVD released here in the UK, I've not seen them in a while need to sort that out soon! As for 3 well this is not so good, it's an origins story but I remember it being quite bland and boring it didn't have the same feel as the first 2.

6. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I actually enjoyed look of Jason in part 7. Following (the best you can) the progression of Jason over the years, he was getting more and more weather beaten. In part 6, he came out of the grave. He was decayed... then like you said he wore the mask the rest of the film. Only exposed for a brief moment in the beginning. The he was under water, chained.

[​IMG]

In part 7 they just built on that. Further decay, bones shown, etc... That kneecap part was great. Then at the end of the film, his mask came off...

For part 8 when you said restaurant throw, you mean when Jason threw the cook into the mirror at the diner, correct? I thought that was awesome on so many levels. It was funny/cool at the same time, hey buddy... toss. The slow walk past the broken mirror visual was fantastic. Hold on, the initial break through the door was fantastic. Then the fact that Kane Hodder destroyed the guy that replaced him in Jason vs Freddy was a bonus.

I may be in the minority, but I really like Part 8. Sure, it needs to be tweaked, and I'm not fond of the ending. But there's plenty to like imho. Good stuntwork, the visuals, that Times Square scene. Hodder's Jason was pretty pissed off in that film as he was in part 7. The drug dealers scene... smashing that guys face into the steam pipe as a small example.

Ha.. Just noticed something. The Vancouver cold weather. You see the breath from Jason. So while not "intended", (probably unavoidable given the local) you can see what it looks like.

Look at the breathing after the first kill....

As far as a Winter local Friday the 13th. Sure, it may not make "sense". But it makes a hell of a lot more sense than Jason X local. Actually it's pretty easy to come up with some reasons to have people at Camp Crystal Lake during the winter. Ranging from a bus of college kids that's bus is broken down and seek shelter. To people breaking into the camp during the "off season" to investigate the legend of killings over the years. To a group of criminals looking for a place to hide out. Whatever, anything like that. Hey, in the 2009 remake the group was searching for a weed farm. So just about anything could fit.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    ImmortalSlasher likes this.
  7. ImmortalSlasher

I remember it being pretty good with the old hotel. But back then I enjoyed watching foreign horror movies. I've only seen the movie once. Perhaps I'll find the trilogy for this winter. I'm fairly sure the first one is on my to own list. It's good to know that the sequel is good.

I kind of remember that the twist with Cold Prey was obvious from the opening. But I barely remember the movie. It's possible that I reviewed it here or on the HDC forum. I'm not sure how much an origin story would be needed. But I think that snow setting in the old hotel was really good. But I also remember being snowed in somewhere in Wisconsin when I was a kid. I think it was a hotel that was connected to a mall because we were able to go to the movie theater even though snowed in.

That's funny, I didn't know that bit about the cook in Part 8 being Jason in Freddy vs Jason. I don't like the ending in Part 8 either. Probably the best ending with Jason is Part 6 for me.

Jason X is just hilarious. I thought it would be a terrible movie. Never wanted to watch it at first. Same goes for Freddy vs Jason. But I find both fun horror movies. For Jason X it kind of starts off like Friday the 13th Part 9, with the movie being too realistic with the capture of Jason. But once they get to space it's just funny.

Perhaps a winter Friday the 13th could work. I just think Friday the 13th should be summer fun and outdoors. And when I think winter, I think enclosed areas. Jason X is enclosed but it has that funny camp simulation scene. And the ship is big. I hate that pot farm protecting Jason in the remake. Also the Jason that people knew was there and still built around the area.

I tend not to like Jason being away from the camp area unless it's just a funny situation like Jason X or Freddy's plot in Freddy vs Jason. So I'm struggling to figure out a way to get Jason into an enclosed area for the winter. Or why the camp grounds would be built up in a fairly modern way like a ski area for Jason to chase kids around. Or even the grounds being something like the camp in The Thing or even the original movie. There needs to be more than just an ice hot tub scene outdoors. At least that's what's in my mind when I think of a winter Friday the 13th scene.

Zombie Dude and baggio like this.
  8. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I envision Shredder......(early 2000s slasher, not from the Ninja Turtles lol) but the killer being Jason. Would have been brilliant (not that Shredder is any less than)

9. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Oh really? I would assume you're definitely not the only one. Yeah, that's Ken Kirzinger. Makes repeat watching interesting now. :)

10. ImmortalSlasher

I had to read that a few times and think why would Shredder hunt kids in the woods. I barely remember that Shredder movie. I know I saw it because it has Lindsey McKeon. She was in Supernatural so I checked that movie out. I don't remember it being that good.

That's a big guy too and Jason just tosses him. Usually when I check movie credits it's just for the actresses. So I'm at fault on that one.

baggio likes this.
  11. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Since someone mentioned Cold Prey- love the first two - great movies. I have yet to get a copy of the third. The lead actress was great in the HBO Westworld series too- total badass.

12. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Shredder is awesome!! I mean it's straight to video quality in most aspects but it's a ton of fun.

CPT HOOK likes this.
  13. Zombie Dude

I don't hate the look in part 7 but I also don't feel like it really represents Jason well. The fake, exposed teeth you see on his damaged side often look hokey and fake and he has more of a melon head at the end that doesn't really feel like Jason. Part 6 has a similar problem where they got the corpse part looking good but his head there is rather thin for a dude that's meant to be a mongoloid. But I prefer his corpse look from 6 than I do the more bloated, monster form of part 7.

JGTH was always a bit hard from me to sit through because of the lack of Jason. It's been a long time since I've last seen it so I wouldn't mind checking it out again. There's definitely some good stuff in there and the gore is incredible. I'd imagine it's still the goriest entry in the franchise.

14. ImmortalSlasher

Perhaps I'll take another look at it if it's on demand again.

I think my problem with Jason Goes to Hell might be because the actress from Buck Rogers is in it. I remember thinking why is she in this movie. Like it was beneath her. Because by that point in watching, the movie was already pretty bad to me. Eventually I'll give it a full watch as I just remember bits and pieces.

15. Zombie Dude

For me, I know the new lore they built was hard to swallow as it comes out of nowhere. Kind of the same feeling I had when I first saw Freddy's Dead and found out he suddenly has a daughter and was married. JTGH just had so much more of it with Duke, family members and all the demon stuff and very little classic Jason. I think the director actually wants to do a DC for this potential future release which might help flesh some things out, like Duke.

16. ImmortalSlasher

What???

I haven't seen Freddy's Dead. I think I missed that one on demand a few years ago or it wasn't on demand. I know I saw New Nightmare. And I need to see Part 5 again. I can't remember the full movie. I only remember the opening shower scene.

I think someone posted this somewhere. But I just saw it again today.

friday the 13th board game.jpg
    There was a board game topic around here. Perhaps they posted it there.