3D TV or no?

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Dave, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Even if you don't use the 3D feature, the 3D capable models are usually the higher end ones with better colors and contrast than those less expensive, so there are still benefits to getting one even if the fad disappears. Then again, if having the best contrast and pic quality available isn't something essential for you, you could easily find a great LED within the 55-60" range for around $1500 that will still put the majority of other TV's to shame.

2. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

agreed. but the problem with that, is there's always something better just around the corner. The top-of-the-line units right now do mostly (if not all) come with 3D. But the price difference between these and the units that were top-of-the-line last year, doesn't represent the increase in quality that you're getting. This may not be an issue for some. I get wanting the best of the best - if you're gonna invest that much money in something, why not go all the way? But for myself, if I allow myself the luxury of getting a new tv, then I have to consider where else I could spend that extra $1000 or whatever that stands between a model i'd be very happy with for a long time, and the model that is the absolute tops right now. but, truthfully, i don't think i'm even in that position right now. maybe in 6 months, when its a little more of a possibility, i'll have a different perspective.

3. Dave

Dave Pimp

I ended up with Samsung PN50C7000 50-Inch 1080p 3D Plasma. I'm pretty excited about it. Total cost was about $1500 and that included the new Shrek 3D starter kit (Shek 1-3 converterd, voucher for the 4th, two pairs of glasses), Samsung 3D blu-ray player, and the TV itself. I'm pretty happy with the deal. The Samsung supposedly has some issues with brightly lit rooms but I can make my room completely dark simply by closing my room darkening sky blinds. There are reported issues with the glasses loosing sync at times but there is a workaround by taping a piece of electrical tape to the IR sensor on the glasses. I will see how that all plays out and can return it within 30 days for free - no shipping charges, either.

My receiver is quite old, too so I decided to upgrade the receiver to one that supports hdmi 3D switching. I may go 7.1, too, but one thing at a time.

My speakers and subs are still pretty solid but I may replace my rear speakers.

TV is due in on Weds and am looking forward to watching My Bloody Valentine on blu-ray 3d. I have not seen it since the theater but definitely enjoyed it.

4. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

There was never a fundamental problem with HD, cable or color television. All these advances bettered the technology with no real drawback.
    3D however, does have drawbacks. It is NOT an overstatement to say that most people will suffer some ill-effect after watching an entire movie or sporting event in 3D. Some people will have no problems- but more than not will suffer either headaches, dizziness or nausea.
    The evidence is there, in both study and anecdotal form. If you choose to ignore it and have no problems with 3D, then good for you. Just realize that, in its current state, 3D will not be massively adopted due to its... disagreement... with a large portion of the populace. I don't doubt that 3D technology will be improved and that, eventually, most everyone will be able to tolerate the 3D experience. Sooner than that, it will be a regular feature built into every display.
    However, you should also not expect the majority of content to be 3D. 3D will continue to be much more expensive to shoot in for quite a few years, and 3D actually detracts from many films. Expect to continue to see a dozen or so 3D "blockbusters" each year that will comprise the majority of your 3D library while most films will continue to be shot in 2D for the foreseeable future. That being said, any "add on" feature, such as 3D, that doesn't detract from the traditional 2D experience (and it doesn't, most 3D displays are based on great 2D displays) that IS useful for even a couple major films a year is well worth the investment. But be warned if you are buying now- I expect the technology to change significantly, for the better, in the next 3 years which may leave you very disappointed if you run our and buy a 3D display now. I say, buy 3D now if you are already shopping for a new main display (I don't think many of us would care about 3D capabilities in bedrooms, offices, kitchens, etc), but don't consider upgrading a perfectly good main display just to get 3D quite yet.

5. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

Good... hope you enjoy!
    By all accounts, the Samsung and Panasonic plasmas are by far the best 3D displays. Unfortuantely, LCD has some inherent problems with ghosting due to the much slower reponse time of its pixel structure.
    Did you purchase the receiver yet? If so, what did you end up with? If you are on a moderate budget, I highly recommend Onkyo if you need alot of power and Pioneer if you want to save alot of power. The Onkyo TX-SR608 is a good entry mid-range receiver that is a powerhouse and built like a tank. The Pioneer VSX-1120K is a looker... in more ways than one. The VSX-1120K comes in Pioneer's classy gloss black finish and includes top of the line Marvell QDEo scaling that can make the most of all your SD sources, including breathing some life back into those old LDs you have sitting around, Dave. If puts out as much power as the Onkyo but may be taxed more if pushed hard.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  6. Dave

Dave Pimp

My Samsung is a plasma and the reviews have been pretty good overall. All the reviews seem to indicate plasma is better for 3D. The big downfall was glare and that's not an issue as I can make the room pitch black. It doesn't do 1080p24 properly either, but I'm not that much of a stickler about it and can let the player do its own 3:2 pulldown.

The receiver I got is Onkyo HT-RC260 which is basically a clone of the TX-SR608 - just missing a few features that I don't need or use.

7. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

Yep... just missing the PC input and the THX certification. A great choice!

8. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Sounds pretty cool Dave. I am in the same spot as you, as in my main TV is a old school tube and I need to do a major overhaul. Sometime around tax return time ;)

So you can post a review at some point that would be very helpful.

9. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

Pulled the trigger on the Panasonic 65" 3D plasma and blu-ray player in the summer. An expensive experience as I upgraded my amp at the same time. Whilst 3D titles are slow at appearing in the UK, 3D gaming is a big plus for me.

At the end of the day, I wanted the biggest plasma I could afford and something that was future friendly.