3 From Hell...Devils Rejects sequel

Discussion in 'General' started by Natas, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I tried to watch this a week ago but wasn't into it. Seemed much better made than 31 but still like cheap Rob Zombie trash. I'm also not a massive fan of The Devil's Rejects (though it's been at least 5 years since I've seen it last), so many this movie just isn't for me anyway.
    I still would love to see Zombie tackle someone else's script for a horror film.

Steel76 likes this.
  2. Azathoth

Azathoth Member

Same here. Caught it last night at a theater with three other people and all of us were disappointed. It wasn't horrible, it was just meandering and pointless, adding absolutely nothing to the storyline or characters. The last half of the movie seemed like an afterthought, like something written down on a cocktail napkins the night before they started shooting it.

After the limp dick ending scene and the credits rolled the misses turned to me and whispered, "Are you fucking shitting me?" Summed up the whole thing nicely.

Steel76 likes this.
  3. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I still enjoy Devil's Rejects, but this one was terrible.
    Compared to Rejects, this really does look and feel like a cheap DTV production.
    The dialogue was terrible, and the acting was horrible at times. Even Bill Moseley, who is great in Rejects, just doesn't seem to give a damn anymore, and (except for a couple of scenes), just phones it in most of the time.
    But who can blame him, with such a terrible script.
    Sheri seems to be the only one, who truly had a good time in this one, even though I mostly find her to be annoying.
    Poor Sid Haig, looks too sick and tired to be on set. It's too bad, but understandable, that he only got a cameo, as he is sorely missed throughout the film.

They should have ended the story with The Devil's Rejects.

Same here. But he would probably force some annoying white trash characters into the script anyways ;)

x666x and Zombie Dude like this.
  4. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I like to hear your review on a horrible movie. :D

5. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Oh, I would say it's horrible. A lot of the main characters being interviewed in The Office format. They are not as interesting as Zombie thinks. Also getting tired of the slow motion walk the characters do towards the camera with 70s rock playing. Ooooh, bad ass.

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  6. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

I loved the first half. While it's sad losing the Captain Spaulding character, and seeing Sid Haig so close to death, the film works well with the new character while the other two get back together and create mayhem. The problem is that the whole second half is a basic retread of The Devil's Rejects. Bounty hunters coming after escapees in a whorehouse? Been there, don't that. Still, I enjoyed it overall.

7. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

God, I thought the bit at the start was hilariously stupid with people being interviewed and one says how hot they think Otis is and then out strolls Bill Moseley looking like a shaggy bum. Massive eye roll moment there.

Steel76 likes this.
  8. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

This was a colossal disappointment. Not only is it the worst of the trilogy, but it's Rob Zombie's worst movie.

It doesn't really serve any purpose, and feels pretty aimless. It's an hour into the movie, and we're still stuck in the first act. The first half is kind of a retread of the motel sequence from Devil's Rejects, and is easily the more effective half of the movie. As for the second half, do you remember the Ken Foree brothel scene in Devil's Rejects? It's basically that dragged into an hour. A strange choice for sure, as that's one of the weaker chunks of The Devil's Rejects.

After spending over an hour getting past the closed ending of Devil's Rejects, keeping Baby and Otis alive and breaking them out of prison, then where does the movie go? Nowhere, really. So I guess I don't really understand the purpose of this sequel, or the urgency to return to this world. Tonally, it also felt watered down compared to the prior movies, although they do go for broke with the female nudity. There's a sense of danger to The Devil's Rejects, where anyone who comes into contact with these characters is in extreme danger, but I didn't necessarily feel that here. Maybe a little in the first half, but not at all in the second. It felt like the sole purpose of this movie was to reverse the ending of Devil's Rejects, then set up a sequel that may or may not even happen.

I've enjoyed all of Rob Zombie's movies to some extent, but this one had me checking the clock waiting for it to be over.

9. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

I really dug it my order of Rob Zombie's films
    Devils rejects
    Halloween
    House of 1000 corpses
    Halloween 2
    3 from hell
    Lords of Salem
    Haunted world of superbeasto this film shouldn't count.