24 Horror Marathon Oct.15-16 Columbus,Ohio

Discussion in 'General' started by Devo1313, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Devo1313

Devo1313 New Member

Coming to the Grandview Theatre in Columbus,OH Oct.15-16 is another installment of the 24 Hour Horror Marathons(and Sci-Fi) that have been going on in Columbus,Ohio since 1987.
    The 24 Hour Horror Marathon will feature Andy Warhol's Frankenstein,Slither,The Beyond,The Hitcher,House of the Devil and more. Check out www.horrormarathon.com for details.
    Other marathons are happening in Chicago at the Music Box THeater the same weekend and at the Little Art THeatre in Yellow Springs,Ohio the next weekend.
    Pile up up on the popcorn and energy drinks and prepare to spend long hours in a seat watching horror films on the big screens.

2. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

That sounds like a blast though I doubt I could handle all that sitting .Still,sounds terrific !

3. zombiecraig

zombiecraig New Member

Yeah, I always go to the Music Box Massacre in Chicago. This will be year seven for the 24hr marathon. Never missed a Massacre.

I've never made it through the whole thing, though. I blame my wife for that.

http://www.musicboxtheatre.com/features/music-box-massacre-7

Announced for this year, so far:

Wizard of Gore (Director Herschell Gordon Lewis in Person)
    Burn Witch Burn
    Hour of the Wolf
    The Abominable Dr. Phibes
    Gates of Hell
    The Vampire Lovers
    Children Shouldn’t Play With Dead Things
    The Sentinel
    From Dusk ‘Til Dawn
    Poltergeist
    Pumpkinhead

Halloween and Halloween II have been teased on the Facebook page. They actually already showed Halloween III a few years back.

Other than some of the "younger" people in the crowd being so fucking irritating with their phones and sneaky hard liquor, I love going and watching a ton of movies all in one sitting. Even if I've already seen pretty much all of them.

Cannot wait to see Dr. Phibes, Vampire Lovers and The Sentinel on the big screen. Too bad I may have to suffer through Pumpkinhead. Hopefully, they show that when I finally give in and am ready to go home.

4. Erick H.

Does the Music Box run all of their films for the marathon in 35mm ? If so they may not be able to get HALLOWEEN 2,I don't think the studio has a 35mm print anymore.The Carolina Theater and the New Beverly Center are two of the few theaters in the country that can usually get just about anything the studios have and I don't think either of them can get HALLOWEEN 2 in 35mm anymore.I suppose someone out there may privately own a copy,that would be a real treat !
    I saw HALLOWEEN 3 in the theater last October and we were told that it was the vault copy,they didn't even cut into the reels,there was a lag of about ten seconds while each individual reel was run.The studio wouldn't allow the reels to be spliced,it was their sole copy.

35mm or not that sounds like a great lineup,I'd love to go !

5. Devo1313

Devo1313 New Member

The Little Art Horror Marathon is showing Zombie,Abbott and Costello Meet FRankenstein,Alien and Rear Window so far.

6. zombiecraig

zombiecraig New Member

Almost everything is 35mm. I won't say they never use a digital source, because they have on occasion in the past. But it is pretty rare. From Beyond (along with Re-Animator and Stuart Gordon in person, a few years ago) was the director's cut DVD. And when they showed Return of the Living Dead at one of the first events, it was DVD, also.

That's a shame about Halloween II. Maybe that's why they haven't announced it? They may have been hoping to track down a copy.

7. Erick H.

Well I certainly hope they can scare up a print.Like I said I've heard that the studio hasn't got a copy anymore but perhaps someone owns a private print.I hate the fact that you just can't get certain films in 35mm anymore,especially ones that are as recent as the 1980's.However it works out I hope you enjoy the festival,sounds terrific !